I am pleased to announce that vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 R1 is now Generally Available to the public. With this comes new features and extensibility into Storage policy based management, Easily deploy OVF/OVA files with new configuration options, Support for newer versions of vCloud Director (vCD), vCloud Air, Site Recovery Manager (SRM), and more!
Below is an overview of the updates that you can find within this latest release.
Storage Policy cmdlets – a new snapin is available called VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.which provides access to a number of new cmdlets that allow you to work with Storage Based Policy Management.
Improved support for OVF/OVA deployment and configuration
Deploying VMware and third party products which are packaged in an OVF/OVA format is now much easier by providing the Import-vApp cmdlet with new configuration options that can be easily explored and set with the new Get-OVFConfiguration cmdlet.
- Get-OVFConfiguration allows you to query an OVF/OVA for deployment properties
- Import-vApp cmdlet now has an OvfConfiguration parameter which allows for OVFProperties to be passed during deployment
- Added a ‘filter by tag’ to the remaining Get- cmdlets:
- Added filtering support to the Datastore provider
- Added filtering support by both DistributedSwitch and VMHost to the Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter
- Enhanced startup speed with NGEN-ing the deserializer assemblies optimization (read more about the issue here: http://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2011/06/how-to-speed-up-the-execution-of-the-first-powercli-cmdlet.html)
- Enhanced error reporting by including more details in error messages returned by cmdlets.
- Supports vCloud Air and vCloud Director with the latest vCD APIs (vCD 5.6.3)
- vCloud Director cmdlets have been extended to include the New-CIVM and Get-CIVMTemplate cmdlets to allow deploying new VMs in VCD or vCloud Air.
- The New-CIVapp cmdlet has been extended with a new parameter set, allowing you to create an empty vApp.
Site Recovery Manager
- You can now work with vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.8 public APIs, as support has been added for the SRM cmdlets to be compatible with this version.
- Ability to pass SpbmStoragePolicy objects to the RelatedObject parameter of Get-HardDisk and Get-VM cmdlets
- Other bug fixes and general performance enhancements have been made to various PowerCLI cmdlets
Stay tuned for frequent blog posts that go in-depth on each of these new updates.
The above list is a high level list of the updates made to vSphere PowerCLI, for a more comprehensive list including all parameter and functional improvements, security enhancements, and deprecated features, see the vSphere PowerCLI Release Notes and the vSphere PowerCLI Change Log.
For more information on specific product features, see the VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 User’s Guide.
For more information on specific cmdlets, see the VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 Cmdlet Reference.